This is the home of pyFLTK - Python wrapper for the
Fast Light Tool Kit cross-platform graphical user-interface library. We're
using SWIG to create the Python wrapper. Perl support has been discontinued for the
time being. TCL, Guile, and Java support should not be that hard to add (this is left as an exercise for the
There are two packages in this project: pyFLTK and pyFLTK2. They wrap FLTK (version 1.1) and FLTK2, respectively. While FLTK and with it pyFLTK is quite stable, FLTK2 is still a moving target and rather instable. The package pyFLTK2 is therefore a proof of concept, rather than a fully working Python extension.
A utility named flconvert is also provided that allows for the conversion of fluid files to Python code. fluid is an interactve GUI builder for the FLTK toolkit and comes with the distribution of FLTK.
- 08.05.09: Maintenance release pyFltk-1.1.4 is now available for download! (Posted by A. Held)
- 27.10.08: Maintenance release pyFltk-1.1.3 is now available for download! (Posted by A. Held)
- 01.10.07: First beta release of pyFltk2, V1.0.0b1, is now available for download! (Posted by A. Held)
- 11.09.07: Maintenance release pyFltk-1.1.2 is now available for download! (Posted by A. Held)
- 26.06.07: Release candidate 1 of pyFltk-1.1.2 is now available for testing! (Posted by A. Held)
- 4.12.06: Documentation can be found on home page under site navigation! (Posted by A. Held)
- 17.11.06: Maintenance release pyFltk-1.1.1 is now available for download (including improved documentation)! (Posted by A. Held)
- 22.02.06: The first official release: pyFltk-1.1 is now available for download! (Posted by A. Held)
- 18.01.06: A Windows installer of pyFltk-1.1RC2, supporting fltk-1.1.7, is now available on Sourceforge! (Posted by A. Held)
- 13.01.06: Release candidate 2 of pyFltk-1.1 is now available on Sourceforge for testing! (Posted by A. Held)
- 20.08.05: Release candidate 1 of pyFltk-1.1 is available now for testing. (Posted by A. Held)
- 08.02.05: Uploaded a Windows installer for pyfltk-1.1b3 compiled against Python 2.4 (Posted by A. Held)
- 11.11.04 : Released pyfltk-1.1b3, consisting of a source, a Windows binary and a RPM package.08.02.05 (Posted by A. Held )
- 12.11.03 : M. Parent reports building pyFLTK on Mac OS X. (Posted by A. Held )
- 10.11.03 : Released pyfltk-1.1b2, consisting of a source, a Windows binary and a RPM package. (Posted by A. Held )
- 6.11.03 : Released flconvert-0.1a2, the second alpha release of flconvert. (Posted by A. Held )
- 19.10.03 : Greg Ercolano contributed his Fl_Table and Fl_Table_Row widgets. (Posted by A. Held )
- 27.7.03 : Released pyFLTK2-0.2.a1, the first alpha release of pyFLTK2. (Posted by A. Held )
- 27.7.03 : Released pyFLTK-1.1.b1, the first beta release of pyFLTK. (Posted by A. Held )
- 6.6.03 : Started mailing list pyfltk-user (Posted by A. Held )
- 19.5.03 : Released pyFLTK-1.1.a1 (Posted by A. Held )
- 22.1.01 : Moved to Sourceforge. (Posted by K. Dahlhausen )
- 17.6.99 : The first pre-Alpha (how's that for a disclaimer!) is available. (Posted by K. Dahlhausen )
- To develop a useable Python wrapper for the FLTK and FLTK2 libraries.
- To demonstrate the wrapper's functionality by converting the test programs supplied with FLTK to Python.
- To allow the use of Fluid (FLTK User-Interface Designer) to generate Python graphical user-interfaces.
- Cross platform GUI toolkit (Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac, ...)
- Easily deployable using py2exe.
- Small footprint as compared to other toolkits.
Status :Most widgets have been wrapped, some still have some minor problems that need to be discovered and fixed. We've converted some of the programs in the test directory of the FLTK distribution to Python. The Python code generator reads some simple Fluid data and generates basic Python code. However, the converter has not been updated in a long time and I am not sure how much interest there really is.
More status information is here.
Todo:The major items left are:
- add exception handling
- address all SWIG warning/errors
- convert the remaining test programs
- fix all memory problems and leaks
Status :Beta release supports fltk-2.0-r5940. This release should be reasonably complete, most widgets have been wrapped. Callbacks are implemented and appear to be working.
Todo:The major items left are:
- Keep up with the development of fltk-2!
Status :A first alpha version has been released, working reasonably well with the latest versions of FLTK and pyFLTK. Note that at the moment pyFLTK only is supported. Support for pyFLTK2 is still an open issue.
Todo:Whatever does not work yet, including:
- Support for pyFLTK2.
Download from the Source-Forge project page.